Humint Events Online: Winds of Change

Friday, November 10, 2006

Winds of Change

Even though 9/11 clearly transcends party politics, it is still very hard not to feel that the Democratic take-over of Congress is a huge sea change that takes the wind out the sails of the 9/11 "movement".

To a large extent, people's fears were not so much about 9/11 and the prospect of another 9/11-like attack, but rather there were real fears about where the US was heading under Bush and the GOP. Fears of overt fascism and a one-party police-state engaged in permanent war appeared reasonable.

All that has changed in a very remarkable and dramatic way.

Thus, for me, it's hard not to feel some sense of relief and some sense that our Democracy works.

Moreover, for me, there is a desire to put 9/11 aside and "get on with my life" and try to accept that there simply are things I cannot meaningfully change.

I am certainly not saying that 9/11 was not an inside job nor am I saying that I trust the Democrats. It will be extremely interesting to see how different the Democrats truly are from the Bushies in terms of promoting war and torture and using terrorism as a political tool and importantly how much of the Bush era abuses the Democrats thoroughly investigate and prosecute. I think in six months we will know for sure whether the Democrats are merely going to put a prettier face on what the Bushies did, versus embark on a new more progressive and humane path for the country.

I suspect things will be mostly business as usual with the Democrats-- with only the worst (perhaps more superficial) aspects of Bushism pushed back.

But still, with such a large change in the political scene, there is room for hope for a radically new direction and perhaps even some meaningful new investigation into 9/11.

Though right now, it sure feels like much of the impetus for the 9/11 movement is severely diminished-- which will make MANY people happy, no doubt.

And perhaps that was the whole point of having the Democrats win anyway, because they knew the Democrats would not cover up 9/11 just as well as Bush and the GOP.

Even though the winds of change are blowing, perhaps they will blow us right back to where we were going anyway.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The implication of your argument about fake videos is that the media was involved at some level. That won't go away. And I don't think Democrats will investigate without a push.

7:31 PM  
Blogger spooked said...

Excellent point, "we know". The media cover-up is indeed key-- and that was one of the scariest things about the Bush era-- how the media kept so much bottled up.

9:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spooked, we the people can change this, but it's going to take a long time. That's OK -- there's no statute of limitations on murder.

I think people should give the Democrats a little time to settle in before pushing them to investigate 9/11. I would let them get started on the Downing Street memos -- revealing government propaganda is a good way to ease into the lies of 9/11.

My goals or hopes are two: (1) bring murderers to justice; and (2) make government lies and propaganda a thing of the past.

Your website is an excellent resource. I hope you leave your website up.

2:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it would be a real mistake to think of 9/11 as being a "Republican" attack. The Democrats need to get the message that the only reason many traditionally Republican voters even considered voting Democrat this time was because of 9/11. You need to get Hillary, , Pelsoi, Joe Biden, and the rest of their evil minions to stop talking about "focusing on the War on Terror." A big part of their supposedly anti-Iraq stance has been that it took the focus off of the hunt for the patsy Osama bin Laden.

It would be a huge mistake to just let the Democrats walk on to first base under the assumption that they're somehow less likely to sell-out America and the Constitution. Every 9/11 truther needs to let them know that we're not going to be satisified with their parroting the Bush lies. We need to see subpoenas!

Fred

6:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"A big part of their supposedly anti-Iraq stance has been that it took the focus off of the hunt for the patsy Osama bin Laden."

I very much agree, Fred. I experience cognitive dissonance every time I hear this.

Another thing we are going to hear a lot of is "implementing the 9/11 Commission recommendations." Now many of these recommendations may be a good idea, but again the fundamental premise is flawed, at least in my mind.

8:47 AM  
Blogger Ningen said...

Hello, spooked. I am the conspiracy theorist formerly known as "we know," all proud of my brand-new blog. Could you please read the article I wrote there? I would like your input if you have time. The beginning part is a bit of rhetoric I wrote with the dKos community in mind, as a response to their "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" mantra. If the title is too hoaky, let me know. Further down I get into my layman's analysis of some engineering papers on the plane impacts, which is what I really want your opinion on. Thank you!

http://ningens-blog.blogspot.com/

Anyone else welcome of course, I hope with substantive criticisms.

3:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger